Thursday, July 2, 2009

My young lions' heart

I had planned on spending my nap time today reading. I got my ice water and my magazine and book (options! I had both Christianity Today and The Visitation by Frank Peretti). As I was settling in to my favorite seat in the living room to watch birds and read, I heard a most disturbing sound. Jack was singing his ABC's. He should have already been asleep if a nap were to happen. We are in an odd period of fluctuation between taking a nap and skipping a nap. There is no dependable marker, just random days of sleep punctuated by cranky evenings or late nights. Shoot! I thought. I ignored the sound for several minutes before my more sensitive radar kicked in. He could lie there miserably for an hour or I could forego my alone time and enjoy some one on one time with my boy. I did let him get up, envisioning thoughtful conversation, book reading, homeschool time...some quiet endeavor that left us both feeling closer. Um, Jack had something different in mind. He said, "Mom, Benny is asleep! We could fight, just the two of us!" By 'fight', Jack had in mind both of us being lions and wrestling around. This never does sound fun to me. I am usually able to elude the invitation, but this time I thought about how his play is his work. I thought about what valuable time and insight into Jack I could gain if I decided to relate on his level and not force him to mine. What a great time I had! We wrestled around, I was Momma lion (Sirabi for those of you familiar with The Lion King) and he was Simba (the grown one with red hair, not the small version in the opening of the movie, of course). I haven't laughed that hard at bodily noises that shan't be discussed here, in....well, maybe ever. We talked about his friends, who we should invite to our house to fight, who he likes to play with in Sunday school. He told me his favorite kind of ice cream (every lion prefers vanilla with sprinkles in a cone, not a bowl). His favorite color is still red although he is thinking about changing it back to blue. Why, I asked? "Well, because it is summer and I have been thinking a lot about water," he says. Then he clarifies, "ocean water blue not pool water blue." Of course, I say, having never thought about the difference. His imagination and logic is held tight within the boundaries of the movies he has seen. "You don't always need wings to fly, Mama, just a little pixie dust." Then we were off fighting like Peter Pan and Captain Hook. "Hey, we could fight in space like meteors, but we have to fight like dogs." (Space Buddies, in case anyone missed the reference.) He wondered about aliens, asking me tentatively, curious if this was something okay to talk about. He was always thoughtful to let me be the princess or at least female counterpart to any movie, always ending our play with regard to my being "saved." I followed his train of thought, his adventure, with no correction or additions...I don't think I have ever done this before. We ended in each others arms, my little valiant lion asleep on my forearm. I looked at him with tears. I so clearly remember him little, I know the details that are just reserved for Mom's about his every waking, breathing moment for the past four and a half years. How did he get so big? I remember hoping for a baby girl when I was pregnant. I was so confident Scott and I would have girls. I am so well suited for little girls; I still love to play barbies, tea parties, the color pink in all its shades. I was bemused, curious, even a little disappointed to find out twice, God chose boys for me. I am so glad that my life rests in His wisdom, not my own. I am so glad to trust that God not only gave me two boys, but these two boys to love and train. ... Not even five minutes after my musings about my little lion, the other little lion (well, no he prefers to be a tyrannosaurus rex) was awake. I couldn't have spent my 'alone time' any better today. Thank God for interruptions and adventures. Thank God for little boys.

2 comments:

  1. that was one of the most sweetest posts i have ever read!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sweet, and so true! it's easy for us to want to stick to our routine and keep "our time" to ourselves. thanks for sharing this ~ it was a great reminder! :)

    ReplyDelete