I don't know if any of you work on memory verses with kids, but this week I went for; "Out of the overflow of the heart the mouth speaks" ...um, what verse is that? So my memorizing needs a bit of work. Anyway, I thought that this would be a good verse to imbed deep into their impressionable little minds to pull out when applicable. (And don't you know, it will be applicable!) I decided to go the extra mile with this one. I set up a station at my sink, chairs so the kids could climb up and see the "speriment" I was going to perform. I filled a cup with water and then let the water keep running, to their very wide and shocked eyes, I allowed the water to spill over the glass and keep spilling! I talked about overflow. I talked and talked and talked about how that represented our hearts and that what we put in our hearts will come out of our mouths, la dee da dee da and on I talked. I had their rapt attention. I knew this sunk in. They hopped down from the chairs, we sat right down on the kitchen floor (another attention getter) we memorized the verse. We said it over and over and over. We talked more about overflow and about hearts. I patted my little guys on the head and knew I did my job this day. I taught them how to guard what goes into their hearts...and maybe more importantly, to be watchful about what comes out. Yep, I did it.
So maybe you've guessed where this might be heading. If you guessed that this would be a beautiful opportunity to thoroughly humble this mama...you guessed right! I ask the boys, in front of their daddy (of course) to recite their memory verse. Jack does it like clockwork. Ben does all the hand gestures and gets a couple key words. I beam. I say, "Jack, tell Daddy what that verse means." He says, "Well, it means that sometimes, I guess its okay for mama to waste water."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



HAHAHHHhahaha! Kids are the best at keeping us humble ~ I hate that! :) You still did a great thing, and even if they don't "get it" now, they will down the road! That was too cute ... and such an honest answer! :)
ReplyDeleteOh my goodness, how funny! What a great idea though:)
ReplyDelete