Monday, August 24, 2009
more than a little boy
We met my mom at Starbucks for our official last day of summer ritual...its true, school begins for her tomorrow. Jack got his special summer-with-my-mom-at-Starbucks treat, a chocolate chip cookie and a hot chocolate "to dip the cookie in", of course. Ben got a green Odwalla juice and a cookie and I got my favorite, iced coffee with cream and no sweetener. Bittersweet, this is also the ritual that begins our summer. Jack's eyes got huge and until he swallowed his cookie, I was unsure what the drama was, "Mom, I have to go potty, now!" Okay, okay, I usher him back to the women's restroom (this is such an interesting dilemna with little boys, men or women's restroom, especially when I mainly wait outside), he has me stand outside the door with my shoe and elbow keeping the door from being completely closed, this way he has "privaceny" which is very important when you're almost 5, and he also can keep track of me and know I am right there when he can see my elbow and shoulder inside the door. I peek, of course I do, its my delight as a Mom to see my little guy work through all the necessities of pottying all on his own. ... pulling his pants up too high, deliberating about tucking his shirt, then pulling it back out, flushing, watching the toilet flush with glee, maneuvering his body to get the soap dispenser button pushed and his hands under the soap dispenser in time (this takes 3 tries), then thoroughly washing his hands, singing his ABC's and even getting those crevices between the fingers that I believe are vestibules of germ magnets, then I saw the amazing. I haven't noticed my boys have any interest in their reflection in a mirror, until now. Jack saw the remains of his chocolate chip cookie all over his chin and cheeks and he wet his hands and scrubbed it off. Then he turned his head right and smiled, then to the left and smiled, then he pretend laughed. Then he saw me looking, and completely unembarassed, he turned and took my hand and said, "Mom, remind me to thank God in my dinner prayer for my great smile."
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



seriously? how cute!!
ReplyDeleteYou could have a whole blog devoted to the funny things Jack says! I love it. He is so precious!!
ReplyDeletethat is too cute! :)
ReplyDelete